Monday, September 27, 2010

Words: How Do They Affect Us?

What Is The Thing That You Like Most About Yourself?
It’s sad that I can ask this question and a lot of people will have to stop and think about their answer but if I were to ask “What Is The Thing You Dislike Most About Yourself?” many people would have no problem coming up with an answer quickly. I think that this is partly because of the society we have been raised in and how it tells us that we need to be perfect in every way and it is partly because of these words that people have said to us, the ones that just tore us apart inside, the ones that we have hung onto for so long, the ones that we let define us. Instead of asking you what you don’t like about yourself, I want to ask you this: “What Is Something About Yourself That You Need To Offer To God In Order For Him To Change It?”
I have noticed throughout my life that we let the things that others say to us or about us define us. We allow the things that people say change us and shape us into someone different; sometimes we change how we act and think to make ourselves into the person that people say that we should be. This is something that I was thinking about all night last night while I couldn’t sleep. Right now I want to encourage those of you that are reading this to think about how you have allowed the things that others say to shape you throughout your life and then think about what God says about you in his word or the things that you have heard him say to you. Are we allowing ourselves to be changed for the better by what the people around us say? Or are we focusing on the words that have hurt us? What I think that we as a Christian community need to do is not  focus so much on the hurtful things that people may have said but think about the things that God has said about us and allow those things to change us for the better.
I know that this post is shorter and I hope that it makes sense to everyone. I just felt that I should write about these things that I was thinking about throughout the night. If you have any thoughts on this subject please comment on it. I would love to hear your thoughts and feelings about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment