Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Realizations

I have been thinking about a lot this past year and one of the things that has weighed heavily on my heart and mind is the trials that I have had to deal with every day for the past ten years because of the chronic and painful physical illness that I will have to continue to deal with for the rest of my life. I have realized that over the past year I have been focusing on the negative effects that this illness has on my life and allowing them to control what I do and how I feel.

I have realized that what I should be doing is focusing on the lessons that I have learned and how living with this illness has shaped me into the person that I am. It has also strengthened my relationship with God. It has taught me that I can’t always rely on myself and that I need to be open to accepting God’s guidance and the support of those that care for me. I have realized that instead of looking at what this illness has taken from me I need to focus on what I have gained through this experience.

Through being sick I have learned to rely on God as he has allowed me to experience his grace, mercy and teach me amazing life lessons as I have walked through this difficult experience. The good that comes from having to deal with this illness doesn’t just stop with me. God has given me a story about how he walks with people through hard times and brings great things out of a seemingly impossible situation if we would only be open to looking for them and focusing on them. God has given me several opportunities to share this story with others and work through me in order to help others.

As this New Year has begun I have decided that it is very important for me to work harder to only look at the positive things that have come out of the hardships that I have to deal with and not allow myself to get caught up in being angry or depressed when I am having a harder time working through being sick.

One of the people in my life that has played a major part in helping me come back from looking at the negative impact that my illness has in my life instead of the good is my friend Rachel. I am incredibly grateful for her encouragement, advice, care and understanding that she shows me every day. I also admire the patience that she has for me when I am going through a hard time because I know that I can be very stubborn sometimes. 

I greatly respect and admire her and want to thank her for being honest and being my friend. Thank you for seeing me for the person that I really am and not just the broken exterior shell that I and rest of the world just can't seem to see past sometimes. That means so much to me. You are a great friend and one of the only friends that I have that has told me that they don't even see the sickness that hurts me every day but instead sees me for who I am as a person instead. That means more to me then I could ever put into words. I have learned that because I have been unable or maybe partly unwilling to look at myself in a positive way when I am feeling down about not being able to do many of the physical activities that other people my age should be able to do. She has helped me get back on track and into a frame of mind where I focus on the great things that I can still do with my life despite having this illness as well as the things that I am better at because of the trials that I have had to deal with because of having a chronic illness.

One thing that she told me just the other day that really hit home for me and helped me come to these realizations is; “You let your body rule you. You are not broken, your body is just the way God made it, and God doesn’t make mistakes. You let this one part of your life rule you and it shouldn’t”. This got me really thinking about why God has allowed me to experience this illness and look at the amazing things that I have experienced and learned because of it.

I guess what I would like to say is that my friend is right. I Am Not broken, God doesn’t make mistakes and I need to really work to look at the good that he has done in my life, the good he will continue to do and the good that I am able to do for others because of the experiences that he has allowed me to go through.

I still have a ways to go before I am able to get to a completely positive frame of mind but I am determined to get there. I know it's cliché but I guess this is my new year resolution.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I could help. You have changed my life so much that I'm glad I could make a small impact in yours.
    You are not that stubborn and as much as you'd make yourself out to be, you arent difficult at all.
    Yeah, just remember, when God sees you, he sees his child that is fearfully and wonderfully made. He doesnt make mistakes and he made you just the way he wanted.

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron thanks for your transparency and giving voice to your thoughts. I'm sure that your sharing will be a source of encouragement for others struggling with a chronic illness or some other devastating issue in their life.

    God doesn't waste our sorrows. He is able to use that which we may consider to be "garbage" as "compost" to fertilize the garden of our life and bring about greater fruitfulness.

    One of my favorite passages of Scripture is Zephaniah 3:5: "The LORD is righteous, He does no wrong. Morning by morning He dispenses His justice, and every new day He does not fail."

    The Lord Jesus gives to us just what we need for each new day and He is faithful. May that truth be an encouragement to you.
    - Pastor Ted

    ReplyDelete